DSM Engineering Plastics – Troy, Michigan
DSM Engineering Plastics received the Troy Chamber of Commerce Best of Troy Award for the development of their new US headquarters.
Phase 1: DSM US Headquarters Project
DSM Engineering Plastics has occupied 31,055 SF of space formerly leased by Bally’s Total Fitness. The space which once held a dance studio, locker rooms, a boxing studio, shower rooms and a common exercise area has been converted by KIRCO and KIRCO MANIX into a class-A mixed use space for DSM Engineering Plastics.
The new state of the art facility utilizes sustainable design elements and contains both open and closed office spaces, 5 large conference rooms that are convertible to 1 large conference space when necessary, and a phase 2 lab space to used for automotive plastics research and technology development.
UNIQUE BUILDING FEATURES:
• Barrel vaulted skylight
• Large central staircase with glass railing accented by natural light from the vaulted ceiling
• Open, daylight filled collaborative work spaces
• Newly located European style lobby
• Mezzanine level collaboration area
• Contemporary European interior design features
Phase 2: DSM Engineering Plastics Research & Technology Center
DSM Engineering Plastics recently opened its expanded $5 million research and technology center in the Detroit suburb of Troy, Michigan.
The opening of the Troy Research & Technology Center strengthens DSM Engineering Plastics’ product development and application development capabilities in North America, and will enable it to collaborate more closely and efficiently with its customers.
Some of the new facility’s features include:
• Broad range of mechanical testing capabilities
• Analytical techniques including microscopy
• Extensive testing capabilities on aging and chemical resistance of materials
• Physical material testing, including rheology and thermal analysis
• 3D printing capability to enable rapid prototyping
In addition, DSM is dedicating part of the lab to application testing in partnership with its customers. It also will develop novel test set-ups to drive a better understanding of the performance of DSM materials under field conditions.
DSM already anticipates expanding the Tech Center in 2017. The lab has additional floor space available to allow for increasing capacity of its current testing activities, and for introducing further capabilities, including flammability testing and secondary operations such as plastic welding.