Saudi Aramco originally selected KIRCO MANIX to work with their program manager and architect to convert an existing industrial building shell into a state of the art research and development facility in Novi, Michigan. The facility is used to research the science required to lower carbon emissions of traditional fossil fuels.
KIRCO MANIX’s initial challenge was to value engineer in excess of $1 million from the project budget while not reducing the project quality. At the same time, they required completion of the work 90 days earlier than what was called for in the original project schedule.
By creating a collaborative team approach amongst the owner, designers and subcontractors, KIRCO MANIX was able to achieve both goals and celebrated a successful completion of this $25 million project.
Since the completion of the original project, KIRCO MANIX has managed the construction of numerous additional phases of work including tenant improvements, construction of advanced technical systems, and continuous updates of Saudi Aramco’s technical and dynamometer spaces.
“Millions of dollars were saved by thorough efforts from KIRCO MANIX – facilitated discussions during electrical and mechanical reviews.” – Tim Edwards, Supervisor, Special Engineering, Aramco
- Constructing complex mechanical pipeline systems, electrical systems and state of the art automotive testing labs.
- Utilizing Class A Architectural finishes in the office section while at the same time removing and replacing the exterior skin on approximately 33% of the building perimeter.
- At the owner’s request, Phase 1 work had to be accomplished within a schedule reduced by a third.
- Additionally, project phases could not impact daily operations at the facility.
- Early onset expectations and communication lines with the city of Novi so as to keep them part of the process and avoid delays relating to inspections or code
- Closely coordinated with sub contractors and suppliers to assure efficiency in installation without causing extra expense as best as possible due to overtime or weekend work
- Closely coordinated and guided the design professionals to provide timely answers to questions and challenges
- Clearly communicated with the owner to manage expectations and plan ahead as necessary
- Set up clear lines of responsibility among personnel to avoid confusion and frustration among various groups
- Created and maintained a “can do, will do” attitude that permeated the project at all times
Location: Novi, MI
Size: 61,800 Square Feet